Thursday, August 23, 2012

Mom Challenge....Day 23

Day 23: Replace sarcasm with kindness.

Well, I'm still stuck in bed and not feeling too much like being sarcastic anyway, so it wasn't much of a problem for me today. Normally, sarcasm is something I am fond of. I was actually glad when my kids started realizing what sarcasm was and when they were capable of dishing the sarcasm banter back. I don't mean using it in a mean way, but in a funny and teasing way. I honestly wish there was a sarcastic font because I know people don't understand when the written word is dripping with sarcasm and I've been greatly mistaken many a time because of that.

Anyway, as much as I wasn't in the mood for sarcasm today and was just honestly being kind to my kids all day, I couldn't help but want to tease the heck out of Skylar when she got a phone call.....from a boy!! Yes, a cute boy who is new in her class and asked for her number the other day. Is it beginning? I hope not! I'm just hoping she was taking my advice on being super friendly to this new kid, who is a friend of a friend.  Still, when she came to me, flushed beet red, asking if she could go to his house I wanted so badly to say something in teasing or to be sarcastic, but I didn't because I knew at that moment, as nervous as she was about this whole thing, she just needed kindness. It worked good because she was able to go to a new friend's house, have fun, and not feel funny about it. There's definitely a place and a time for sarcasm and it just happened to work out that kindness was more important today.

No comments: