Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 12: A song that reminds you of your baby and why

Kite by U2
This is Gabe's song. I explained it here. We listen to this song all of the time. It gives the whole family comfort. We know, without the slightest doubt, that Gabe is a part of our forever family and we will see him again.

Golden Slumbers by the Beatles...but the one that actually reminds us of Gabe is covered by Mindy Gledhill
The kids and I were listening to this song and just thought about how wonderful it is for Gabriel to wake every morning to such amazingly beautiful things to see. Although I'm pretty sure that in the Spirit world, there isn't much sleeping since they are pretty busy. It also reminds us that Gabe is home, where he's supposed to be. We know how to be with him someday and he is such a draw for us to be good enough to get back home with him.

Pictures of You by the Cure....this post explains that.

From the Mouth of Gabriel by Sufjan Stephens
This is a song that Ben listens to when he wants to think of Gabriel. It's a very different song but has some interesting things in it that really remind us of Gabriel. It makes me sad so I don't listen to it very often myself.

April Come She Will by Simon Garfunkel
This song strangely corresponds with Gabe's life. Although it's a song about a summer love's short lifespan, it talks about all of the months that Gabriel was alive. He was conceived in April, he stayed through May, June, and July, and then the song says, "August, die she must." Gabriel's life also included his death, like all of our lives. I started thinking of this song shortly after he died. It's always been a song that I've loved and I still do because even though Gabriel died, he also lived, and I am so thankful that I could be a part of his life.

...and hymns still make me think of Gabriel, almost every single one. I still choke up when I pay attention to the words of them. I couldn't make it through this life missing Gabriel without the hymns that help remind me of the plan of salvation and the promise that trials are necessary for growth, families are forever, and our Heavenly Father is there for us, always.

2 comments:

lindseyfrancom said...

There is definitely something about having songs attatched to memories, events, people and everything else that brings joy and comfort. I'm glad you could have those with Gabriel :)

Kris said...

Ben Folds does a cover of Golden Slumbers that I love. It's on my playlist on my blog. Reminds me of Luke. :)