Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 20: Share some favorite recipes

Well, I'm not much of a cook. I guess I used to try to be, but since my kids would be ecstatic if we would just eat spaghetti (yuck!) every single night, I've kind of given up on cooking anything too fancy or edible, and so cooking has just become very tedious for me. Add that to being pregnant and feeling pukey all last summer and the last year of me being a wreck, and let's just say that we're lucky if there is a meal when it comes to dinnertime. Whenever my family gets together I'm usually requested to bring a salad....apparently I can assemble a mean salad. And baking? Well, to Ben's great disappointment, I don't. So I don't have a ton of awesome recipes to share.

In the last few months, I've become a big fan of Dream Dinners. I love it mostly because I don't have to think what's for dinner or plan it out or shop for it. I just go and assemble it, then freeze it, and then easily cook it all up when it's time to eat. Believe me, it's totally helping out around here and we feel like we're really actually eating food! It's pretty yummy too. I really wish I could take pictures of the recipes or something and then make them myself, but then they'd be out of business, I guess. Maybe someday I'll be able to think enough to make a shopping list again, but I think I'm already addicted to Dream Dinners and it might be a hard habit to break.

That being said, there is one thing I make that my kids and a few other fans absolutely love. That is my chocolate banana bread. I make this as often as we have bananas go brown....oh how my kids love when our bananas go brown. I can practically make it in my sleep now. It's so not healthy except for the bananas, but it is super delicious. Here it is:

Chocolate Banana Bread

1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
3 ripened bananas, mashed
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9x5 in. loaf pan. In a bowl cream together margarine, sugar, and eggs. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking soda, and cocoa. Mix well. Blend in sour cream and chocolate chips. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in center of loaf comes out clean.

2 comments:

lindseyfrancom said...

That bread looks awesome!

I should try dream dinners. Is it expensive?

Melissa said...

My family LOVES banana bread. I have never had chocolate banana bread though. I am excited to try this. Thanks for posting this....