Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 26: Your Hero

I'm pretty blessed to actually have so many heroes in my personal life....a grandpa that went back to school at age 81 because it was his dream to graduate from college. Another grandpa who quietly faded into the background but always had a smile for me or a hilarious joke that can still make me smile today even though he's been dead for 6 years. A grandma who despite having a stroke and feeling miserable all of the time, still welcomes her family with welcome arms and no complaints and genuinely makes you feel loved. A friend with a most generous heart that has adopted children into her wonderful family where they greatly loved and cared for. Another friend who has inspired many after the tragic death of her husband and has helped me get through my hardest days by always being there for me. Another friend who has lost both a husband and a baby and continues to put smiles on others' faces through her thoughtfulness and compassion for others. My own husband who always stays positive and is always thinking of others' needs, and shows me every day what it truly means to be an example of Christ. I'm so blessed to have so many heroes and even more blessed to know them and be able to call them family or friends.

As for my other heroes, I'm blessed to have been able to meet both of them, to shake their hands, and to be able to say that I've truly been in the presence of some of God's chosen men. The first is Gordon B. Hinckley. I have always loved his smile, good nature, and positive attitude. I love how much he adored his wife. I was able to shake his hand at my high school seminary graduation because his grandson went to my high school. It was awesome. What an amazing man he was and he left such a legacy behind him. My favorite quote? From him.

Thomas S. Monson is my other hero. I remember as a little girl seeing him at Snelgrove's and peaking over our booth to gape at him. I was so in awe that we were actually eating ice cream next to an apostle. Later, I actually worked at Snelgrove's and he was still a regular. The only night I got to be his waitress I learned a most valuable lesson. We were very busy and for some reason we were either short a hostess or something, but no one ever went over to seat him and his wife. So, when I finally noticed this and went over, he wasn't happy. He very harshly said, "We've been waiting here quite awhile and deserve to be seated." I apologized and sheepishly showed him to a table and then left to get water for them. I was kind of in shock. Here was this apostle and he had just been so rude to me and it wasn't my fault at all. As soon as I got back to the table though, he was so nice. He apologized profusely and said it had been a long day and his wife was very tired and it was very hard for her to stand and wait to be seated. He was completely nice the rest of the time. It made me realize that even though President Monson is a prophet (he wasn't the prophet then) and a man of God, and probably the closest person to the Savior on earth, that he is still a person. He still gets mad. He still gets frustrated. He still wants to just go on a date with his wife and have a pleasant time. In fact, he himself has said, "I am a very simple man. I just do what the Lord tells me to do." It was a valuable lesson for me and I've tried to remember through my life. We never know anyone's back story-if they've just heard horrible news or they are going through the greatest trial of their life, or even if they've just had a really bad day, so it's not our place to judge them. I'm so thankful for a valuable less that was taught to me that day when I got to be the prophet's waitress. President Monson is also such an amazing example of service and true friendship. There are so many stories of him going out of his way to help just one person, to make one person feel loved and valued. He's a wonderful example to me.

I know I still have so much to learn, but I hope that someday I can be a smidgen like my heroes. I feel so blessed to know so many beautiful and strong heroes. I just happened to run across this quote today and I absolutely agree with it and love it. True heroes are the best!!
"Heroes rarely look the way we draw them in our minds: attractive, imposing figures with rippling muscles and strong chins. More times than not they are humble beings: small and flawed. It is only their spirits that are beautiful and strong." -Richard Paul Evans (The Gift)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I always think of our seminary graduation and the chance we all had to shake hands with Pres Monson, Hinckley and Faust. Little did we all know that less than a year later they would be the first presidency...Kind of cool. They are all my heros...great post!

lindseyfrancom said...

Lucky you to have met not just one, but both. I guess that is the price you pay for growing up in Salt Lake!

That is a good list of heroes. Thanks for sharing :)

Mindy said...

You have a great list of heros. One of them is a little crazy though ;)! Love you!