Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 18: Some hobbies of yours

Um, hobbies? Can I count hanging out with my kids and my husband? That's about all I do anymore.

I guess I like to scrapbook...can't say I do it much though. I started scrapbooking before it was even a thing way back in the day. I had my elementary through college all nicely done before there was even a market for all the cutesy scrapbooking stuff out there. My old ones look so ghetto, but it's awesome to have them done. My goal is to to at least have all my kids' first year done for them. I was soooo good at getting Skylar's first year all scrapbooked, a little less about getting Nick's, McKade has one page in progress, and Alexis has nothing. I am so lucky to have a scrapbook started for Gabriel...although I can't take the credit for that. My sweet friend, Stephanie, made one for me. I just need to put his pictures in it when I get up enough energy to do that. What an amazing gift that was. Thank you, Stephanie! Sometimes its so overwhelming to think what I need to do to catch up but I will someday!! Time, of course is always an issue, but really it's my perfectionism that holds me back. I try very hard to make my pages look perfect and that takes a lot of effort. I'm an OCD scrapbooker!

So taking pictures goes right along with scrapbooking. I take so many pictures it's crazy!! I wish I really knew what I was doing when taking pictures, but I'm more of a point and shoot girl. I hope someday to take a class and get really good because it's something I've always loved to do. I'm always behind the camera...watch out.

I love, love, love music and going to concerts. Is that a hobby? Because I'm counting it. Back in my single days when I had moola that didn't have to pay for the necessities of life, or was willing to eat my old roomates' free pizza from her job for all three meals to survive, I went to practically every concert I could. I have traveled many a time to other states to even see concerts. I actually saw the Grateful Dead three consecutive years in Vegas before Jerry Garcia died...such crazy memories. I've seen way too many bands to count but among the ones I feel honored to have seen are my threebies (ones I've seen three or more times) like Unwritten Law, Jack Johnson, the Cure, Grateful Dead, and the Beastie Boys. I've also seen some legendary ones like Simon & Garfunkel, Nirvana, & Crosby, Stills, & Nash. There is just nothing better than seeing a band live. I think a band's ability to perform live is where their real talent shows through. This last year we've gone to more concerts than we've done in many years and I've loved it. We've seen Cake, Ben Folds, Arcade Fire, Unwritten Law, & U2 (three of those in one month! Yay!!).... and all were just so awesome! Cake is actually back in town this week...I so, so want to go but it's sold out...boo! & Ben Folds comes in July again...must go, must go, must go...and then he will join the threebie club! My only wishes are that we could get to them easier because concerts and kids don't mix (and finding babysitters is a killer)...and that I had endless supplies of money to afford them since we don't have anyone living at our house that can supply us with free pizza.

Oh, and if I had money, I would travel, travel, travel. I love traveling! The thing I hate about traveling? Coming home. I just love discovering new places and new cultures and new things. I love seeing the beautiful world that our Heavenly Father has created for us and there's just an endless supply of that in this big giant ball we live on. I hope someday to see as much as I can. I also love that traveling to somewhere awesome doesn't take long. Utah is amazing! As much as I am not a fan of living here, I love having beautiful national parks so close to go to. I love having the mountains right outside my door that I can escape to so easily and feel like I am in heaven...and away from it all. I feel very blessed to live in this day and age where traveling is just so easy to do. I just wish I could do it more!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think concert going is a definite hobby...don't ask me why but I still remember you in 8th grade so excited to go see REM! You are awesome Cyndi. Keep watering that money tree hopefully it will produce for you to be able to keep up with all your fun hobbies...