Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weekly Wrap-up

Wow! What a week. This has been a very trying and crazy week for me. So, here goes. Lisa is my go-to girl. She's the person in this world (besides Ben, of course) that I talk to about everything and anything. We met when we were both about 8 1/2 months pregnant with our first kids, Parker and Skylar. We learned all about the whole mom thing together and have shared our horror stories and lots of laughs through the years. She moved away about 2 years ago but she's still the person I rely on when I need advice or cheering up. Well, she calls me on Monday morning bawling. Parker was playing with a RC airplane last Saturday night and cut himself really bad. He had been in the hospital all weekend, he'd had surgery once, and was most likely needing more. On top of that, Lisa is 7 months pregnant. I felt so bad. I had no clue what to do to help her because we're so far away, except pray for him. We've all been really worried and every prayer has included him. I talked to Lisa tonight and after a week in the hospital, including a flight up to Primary Children's, he is home and doing better. We're so glad that he's doing okay and will continue to keep him in our prayers.
So Monday afternoon, I noticed that Skylar's Sleeping Beauty Barbie doll had received a cool new punk hairdo. I kept my cool when asking Skylar about it. Then, surprisingly, I kept my cool when I noticed Skylar was missing a few locks herself. So, she has bangs now. I am grateful that it wasn't anything more. Ben (our barber) tried to cut them a little straighter without making them way too short but they are still quite noticeable. Skylar was really upset after she realized what she had done but hair does grow back so it is not the end the world. Skylar had had a stressful day because she was really worried about Parker, so I tried my best to laugh it off. She didn't want to smile for the picture but I told her it was something she'll laugh about later.
Ben left for Scout camp on Tuesday and I prepped myself for my stressful week by... picking up a can of paint for the kitchen. So, every night after the kids were in bed, I spent the time painting. It actually was great, because instead of the usual insomnia I suffer from when he's gone, I fell fast asleep because I was so exhausted. I really missed him though. Every time he's gone, I appreciate him more and more. I really don't know how single moms do it. I am in awe of them. Ben is such a great husband and so supportive. I'm so lucky.
Leslie, my friend from high school, was also in town this week. We went to visit her at her mom's house. She has two girls that are both Skylar's and McKade's age (they're actually 7 days apart). It was fun to catch up with her and our kids had a lot of fun together. We went to Disneyland with them last September but she has since moved to Texas. I don't anticipate going there anytime in the near or distant future, so I'm glad she came to visit. She is one of the few friends that I still stay in touch with from high school and it's fun to be able to go through some of the same things together but still have the history too.
Our primary had a mini pioneer trek on Saturday. Skylar was so excited to dress up and push her "wagon" along. She learned how to square dance and she was really good at it. She had such a blast! She is always so excited about everything she does. I love her spirit and willingness to participate. I'm not such a go getter myself so I live vicariously through her. Skylar, you're awesome!

No comments: