Sunday, July 15, 2007

Weekly (or two) Wrap-up

Okay, so I'm a little new to this but decided the weekly thing may be helpful. I guess I'll do two weeks this time to catch up.
Week one: The kids and I got up early on the 3rd to go see the hot air balloons. This is our yearly tradition with the Tongs (our BFFs!!) Every year it's so much fun, even the pelting of candy from the Strawberry balloon. Then later that night, my friend, Sara, and I camped out on University Ave. for the big 4th of July parade. This wasn't really necessary because I had put our stuff out on Monday by noon but I thought it'd be fun and I had promised Skylar that we'd do it. Our other friend, Adrianne, copped out-some excuse that her kids weren't feeling good (probably from getting up at the crack of dawn to see the balloons!). Anyway, we just had half our kids (her one, my two). They slept in a tent and finally settled down about midnight. Sara and I slept (ha ha) under the stars and stayed up a bit doing the girl talk thing and finally drifted off to near impossible sleep with motorcycles revving and people walking by saying " Wow! Those girls are sleeping." I know that I finally fell into a deep sleep after 4:45 am and Nick woke up at 6. Needless to say, sleep was not plentiful, but I'm always up for something out of the ordinary, so I had fun. I'm not a huge parade person, but since I've had kids, it's fun to go for them. My kids love the pre-parade because of the Star Wars guys. I love that part too. I missed out on Chewie (I'm a fan!) though so that was kind of a bummer. Anyway, some of our family joined us later on, including my parents, my brother and his fam, and even Ben and McKade at the end. We had saved a huge spot and felt a little guilty taking up so much room so we were glad everyone filled it up for us. My grandma never found us. I was bummed because when I think of the 4th of July, I always think of her because that was kind of the big day our family got together growing up. She's getting old (94) and those 4ths are running out. I love my grandma and really missed her!!! Anyway, our whole family crashed after the parade and then later did the Seven Peaks thing and fireworks. The rest of the week consisted of me feeling utter exhaustion. But I guess the memory of camping out on the parade route is worth it?? I think?
Week two: So this week has been relatively uneventful, which I needed because the last few weeks have been a busy blur! Skylar had her kindergarten check-up and we found out she is in the 60th percentile for height (still 25th for weight-skinny little thing)! I knew she had been growing really fast this year but she's always been below 25th for height so I was not expecting the jump. Both the Dr. and I were amazed! Anyway, she's all good to go to kindergarten. She is so excited. I'm not so much. It's a little sad.
Th
e week ended with me getting a haircut (4-5 inches) because I've been going crazy from the heat. My friend, Krystal, cuts my hair and just had a baby 5 weeks ago so I've been wanting to get it cut but I was hesitant to bug her too soon. It's so nice to have it shorter-instantly cooler. Anyway, she and her husband invited us over for a BBQ that night which we hadn't done in forever. The Tongs came too and we had so much fun. Before we had kids we did the BBQ thing like every weekend and since it has been far too seldom. It was fun to get together and reminisce. We stayed up way too late for our kids and ended it up with McKade banging his chin up on their fireplace-we were so thankful it didn't involve lost teeth and stitches! Anyway, we had a lot of fun, minus the chin thing!
Tonight, while making dinner with a migraine, I looked out the window to see the Hanamaikais pull up and Ben say, "Oh yeah, Quinn called to say they were dropping by." Typical Quinn to Ben to me communication. Anyway, it was fun to see them. Since they moved to Riverdale we don't get the chance too much. Visits from them always include a "Princess Parade" from our girls that is alway
s entertaining. This time the boys joined in and a picture had to be shot. Okay, so this is definitely a big post. Sorry, I'm a newbie with the gift of gab.

No comments: