Sunday, March 18, 2012

Things to do.....Items 18 & 23

I realized that I never have blogged about two bucket list items that I got crossed off that enormous list I've been working on. I'm making progress...slowly...but surely!

Item #18
I can't remember when I actually did this...October maybe?....but I finally donated blood! I've always wanted to, especially because I'm O- so I've got the good donating stuff! Back in my very poor college days I donated plasma all of the time, so I couldn't. Then after we were married, Ben was anti-plasma donation but I guess I never thought of donating blood instead. Then since we've had kids, I've been busy and/or pregnant, nursing, etc. Then when I finally haven't been the above (boo!) and I went to donate, there was a huge mix-up and I was denied. Yes, denied! Some lame person had used my social security number to donate and had been "permanently deferred." The lady at the Red Cross said that sometimes people will do this so they can get tested for HIV or something and get the results mailed to them but it won't go on their record. Apparently my social security stealer must have some kind of issue and is not allowed to donate ever again! Good thing the head honcho at the blood draw believed my story and put my file on investigation. However, I was told that until it was cleared up, which would be about 6 months, that I would be denied donation. Soooo.....I had to wait. Finally my 6 months were up, my social security was cleared, and I was good to go. Of course, there was still a hitch when the phlebotomist went entirely through my vein, which immediately bruised up to a very dark purple color before she even noticed. Believe me, I noticed! Ouch! She quickly took the needle out, apologized profusely, and ice packed my arm. My other arm worked well though and I was able to finally donate....and I even had the bruise for weeks as proof!!!

Item # 23
Next on the list....one of my long time dreams.....get scuba certified!! I have wanted to do this FOREVER! Ben and I found this killer Groupon deal and Ben graciously agreed to go with me even though he had no desire whatsoever to get scuba certified. I knew it would be more fun if I had a buddy though and Ben's so good about me talking him into and dragging him on crazy adventures. He's awesome like that! Anyway, the class was a 4 week class and each session was from 6-11 at night. Getting and paying a babysitter for that long would have cost us way more than the class even did so we were super blessed to have awesome parents and an awesome BFF of mine step up to take our kids so we could take the class!

The class was down in Springville and every week we would go to class until about 9 and get instructed verbally, take quizzes, and watch super silly scuba videos. Then we'd head over to Springville pool for the diving! It was so fun to scuba dive together! We needed so many hours in closed water and then we were finally ready for our open dives. Those were up at the crater in Midway. It was so awesome to go up while there was snow outside and get into 90 degree water to scuba. The only non-cool thing was that I busted my ears when we went. It was the first time we went down past 12 ft. and the dive at the crater is about 25-30 ft. down. I kind of had a cold so my ears were having a hard time equalizing the pressure as we got deeper. They were bugging me and I kept trying to signal the instructors but I guess they didn't realize what I was signing. It's pretty hard to communicate when scuba diving in murky water! Anyway, when the dive was done my ears were bugging me pretty bad. My instructor just brushed it off as swimmer's ear, but the next day I went into the Dr. because it just wasn't getting better. He said that my ears were definitely hurt....bleeding and all! Dang it! The good news was that my eardrum wasn't ruptured. But I was told I couldn't scuba dive for at least a month until they were healed. I was so close to being certified, I honestly was bummed. I even cried. Lame, I know, but it was really important to me!

Anyway, finally, after a long time of feeling like I was going to be deaf forever, my ears finally were better and the Dr. cleared me to dive again. We got to do our last open dive at the crater on January 2. I was kind of scared to go again because I really didn't want to hurt my ears, but it was exciting to get the chance to dive again. We had to go with another group than the one we had taken the class with. It was kind of weird and the instructor was this crazy, yet funny, French guy. We passed all of our stuff and finally were scuba certified!! Woot! Woot! This time, however, Ben was the one who hurt his ears. Seriously! But at least we were done and certified. Thanks babe for being a good sport...even getting injured to make one of my dreams come true! You da best!! I'm so excited to be scuba certified! Now, if we can ever make it to scuba dive in the ocean....or even the Great Barrier Reef...it would be amazing!! Someday, someday!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

And that would be why I don't donate blood....but I am super excited you were able to be finally scuba certified.

Unknown said...

i love donating blood. I started donating a couple years ago for a free Twilight Shirt! :) lol. Awesome about your scuba stuff too. I am freaked out about what is under me in the water so I don't think I could ever do that! you are amazing!!