Sunday, October 2, 2011

Heading Back to School

I know the whole back to school thing was over a month ago, but my laptop has been on the fritz and rarely working at all....even to the point where computer genius, Ben, doesn't know how to fix it...which means it's in dire straits. I've been forced to work around Ben using his computer, which is hard when he's on it a lot! Anyway, today in General Conference, Elder Quentin L. Cook said,

" We should be grateful for all the tender mercies that come into our lives."

So here's my tender mercy that I am so, so grateful for....my laptop decided it would work this weekend! This was perfect because it was Conference weekend and I could use it to take notes on all of the wonderful things that were spoken. I loved, loved, loved conference...but there will be more on that to come....if my laptop keeps working! As for now, I finally got this giant blog post done! So anyway......

I know most people love the whole back-to-school thing, but not me! I hate sending my kids back to school. I have so much fun with them throughout the summer and I hate to see it end. All of the kids are in school this year! Yikes! I am sooooo not liking this. I miss my babies so much when they're gone....and them being gone makes me especially miss that Gabe isn't here either. I'm so lonely.

My kids, however, LOVE school so they love going back to school! The big kids started a week before the little ones. They were so excited that they took off to school before I could even take pictures. Good thing they didn't get far so that I could call them back! They were so antsy in the pics because they just wanted to get to school!
Skylar is in 4th grade this year....finally one of the big kids in school!
Nick is in second grade this year!
Finally I let them take off to school! Since the little kids still had a week we decided we'd try to have a lot of fun just me and them. After the big kids took off the littles and I headed up to $2 Tuesday at Thanksgiving Point Farms. I used to take Sky & Nick there all of the time when they were little but they started getting bored with it so we haven't gone much in the last few years so my littles have kind of missed out. It was fun to go with them. As soon as we got there we headed over to the ponies and Kade posed for this pic right as the pony took a nip at his foot, which I caught on film. What a mean pony!Kade was okay, but needless to say, my kids kept their distance from the animals after that. They still had a fun time!

















The only crazy thing about the farm was the line to ride the ponies. Seriously, insane! But the kids really wanted to, even after the pony biting Kade, so we waited in line for an entire hour until they finally got their chance. It was worth it to see how much fun they had. Alexis was laughing the whole time and Kade was all smiles!!
I loved going to the farm with my littles! We had one more chance to hit up 7 Peaks before it closed for the season. We met the Mailes, the Tongs, and even the Jensens for a bit. We had such a blast! After Ben got off work he headed down and even though it was a school night we decided to stay until closing...we had to squeeze out every ounce of swimming fun!!
















If Kade could pick one thing to do it would be to go to mini-golfing. He absolutely loves it!! He's good too!! Is there some kind of junior mini-golf tour that he can go on? If the pass of all passes is good for one thing, it's that we save a ton of money on mini-golfing. So on the top of his list for his last week out of school was to go mini-golfing at Trafalga. Alexis loves going too!








My littles are my crazy ones with such silly personalites...but it's so much fun! They look even more crazy in these pics with glowing eyes from the black lights & my not-so-awesome-in-the-dark phone camera.We also took in a XD movie. These two are too cool!
Throughout the week we also met Ben for lunch, took a picnic lunch to the canyon, and played at the park.

As much as I wished it wouldn't come, the first day of school for the little ones finally came. They were both completely stoked! My sweet little kids...getting so big!Kade is finally in kindergarten!! I'm pretty sure he never thought this day would come after such a long wait!
Alexis is in her first year of Joy school! Ben came home from work so that he could see Kade go to kindergarten for the first time.Kade was super stoked to finally be there!
We're so excited that Kade got the best kindergarten teacher ever, Mrs. V! We love her!! Kade is so, so excited to have all of his buddies in his class! I'm sure that's one crazy class! Finally it was Alexis's turn to go to her first day of Joy school! I kind of hate sending her off so early (she was still 2 when she started!) but I know how much fun she will have at Joy school...and I'll still get to be with her every few weeks as her teacher....so it's not like she's completely gone. Plus, with a September birthday, she's still got three years before kindergarten, so I will get extra time with her. I still miss her incredibly when she's gone! Here's the Joy school group this year, minus one. Seriously, I took like 50 pictures trying to get them to look, but this was the best I got! What a fun group of kids! Every one is a first year except one so it will be kind of crazy with them being so little, but it will also be crazy fun!! They're all such sweet kids! So what does mom do now with all this free time that I really, really wish I was spending with a nine month old? Well, I've spent a couple of those days just crying (thanks friends that have been my shoulders to cry on!) and the rest I've tried to stay busy going to the temple, volunteering at the school, going to more doctor's appointments, and trying my best to stay occupied until I have my kiddies home again with me. I guess the extra time I have to do those things that I can't do with kids is good for me and I'm trying to do good things, but it's hard because I so wish that I didn't have the freedom to do those things. I guess it's time to get used to this life with big kids...I just am not ready to. I'm trying to remember the wise words of an apostle...

"Come what may, and love it." -Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

I'm not loving it so much, but I'm trying to make it bearable until maybe I can at least like it.

1 comment:

Tessa Hatchett said...

Your kids are so stinkin' cute! :)