Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools

I wasn't totally on my game this year with the whole April Fool's thing. I taught Joy School this week and just have been busy and just didn't have time to plan anything spectacular. Then I had a migraine this morning and well, Mother Nature played a cruel enough prank with all the snow and such that I just wasn't in the mood. I started thinking I wouldn't do anything but Skylar mentioned the lack of excitement around our abode and I decided I should do some last minute planning.
The kids all had dentist appointments today. The dentist was excited to tell Skylar that she had "a million cavities! April Fools!" She was laughing like crazy. In reality, no one had any cavities (yeah!!) but I thought we could use the dentist appointments to play a trick on Ben. I told the kids to tell their dad that they all had a cavity and that Nick had three! The kids were so good. When he came home, Nick was so serious and acted all sad when he told Ben. Ben was shocked and kind of stressed out about the financial aspect of this news. The kids all did pretty good for a few minutes keeping up the joke and then Skylar started laughing and blurted out "April Fool's!" Ben and I were pretty impressed that the kids did such a good job fooling him.








I told the kids that since they didn't have any cavities that I would make them something special for dinner. I told them to stay downstairs so it would be a surprise. When they came up for dinner, there were cupcakes on the table. The kids were so confused. I gave everyone a cupcake and told them that was their dinner. They looked at me like I was crazy and then Skylar took a swipe at the pink frosting. I wish I would have filmed it because the kids were not too pleased after they found out the "cupcakes" were actually meatloaf with pink potatoes on top. They whined about how it wasn't funny and so not fair but I think deep down they thought it was a pretty good joke.

4 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

Impressive! I'm terrible at April Fool's jokes. I didn't even attempt one this time.

Beck said...

That is hillarious! The dentist was awesome too. But your meatloaf cupcake...now thats just cruel :)

ohana=)mama said...

That's so funny I'm dying! That's a good one! Well we did only one joke on Keaka's mom. We put a piece of toilet paper in the toilet with YOU'RE #1 written on it. I still don't know if it actually worked but the kids thought it was ultra funny!

The Peterson Family said...

This is too funny! I'm totally filing away the meatloaf cupcake idea for next year!