Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Week That Kicked My Butt

Okay, so every time I talk to my mom she reminds me that I am pregnant and that I must slow down. My response? I am not disabled, just pregnant, I'm fine. Yes, I am stubborn. I like to be busy and have a hard time with slowing down. So, this week was definitely not any different. Being the last week of "summer" (before school starts), I had to squeeze in as much fun as possible, right?
Last Sunday night I spoke to Adrianne and Sara about planning out a week of fun, including squeezing in another trip to the zoo. We decided to go the next morning. So on Monday we headed to the zoo-we even brought along Skylar's buddy, Camille. Having passes this year and having seen it all, we figured we'd get there early, stay a couple of hours, even skip a few things, and be out of there before it got hot. Of course, things don't always go as planned so we really didn't get there until 11, and then we took in some of the shows, went on both the carousel and the train, and ending up staying at the zoo a whopping 4 1/2 hours! Afterwards I was basically beat! We had a fun time though. You always see something interesting at the zoo. This time it was me being attacked by flying birds of prey during the bird show! I don't know what it was, but I was hit a total of three times by the birds flying overhead! One time was a basic slap across the face that really hurt!! I think I may avoid the bird show next time we go!
On Tuesday we decided to take advantage of Thanksgiving Point's Dinosaur Museum $2 August Tuesdays deal, along with a thousand other people! It was so crowded!! We waited in line for about a half hour just to get in and once we were in it was hard to even move around because it was so crowded. We did our best to see it all and we did have fun but it so much better without the crowd!
To top of Tuesday we went to the Owlz game. The guy next to us caught a home run ball which was definitely cool for the kids to see!
Wednesday, Adrianne & I and the kiddos headed up to SLC to the Children's Museum at the Gateway. Adrianne has a membership there so was able to get all my kids in free-thanks Adrianne! We'd never been there before and the kids loved it! You seriously could stay there all day long (which we almost did) and the kids would not get bored. There was just so much to play with and so many hands-on things. The kids especially loved pretending they were on the news and playing in the helicopter. After we had some lunch, we headed over to the water fountains there at the Gateway. I've seen this on TV but never been there. The water was cold but the kids had a blast!
So, now it's time for Thursday and I had planned on this day being a pretty mellow day. The kids and I have been going to the Scera movies all summer which are basically kids movies that have been released in the last year or so back on screen. Thursday was our last movie and so I figured we'd do that, run a couple of errands, maybe hit the park, nothing huge. Good thing I did. Thursday morning I woke up feeling basically lousy. So I got a couple of errands done, suffered through the strangest take on the 10 Commandments I'd ever seen, and came home and basically collapsed. By the time Ben got home I had a fever and was sick as a dog with I'm guessing the same flu the boys had a week ago! I guess the busyness of the week and staying up until midnight every night watching the Olympics on top of being pregnant kicked my butt. Needless to say, any plans on Friday were knocked out and replaced with lots of TV for the chillins and sleeping all day for me. What a great way to spend the last day of summer!!

Saturday I did feel a bit better-I at least was able to finally get some food down. After getting some stuff done around the house we went to see the Clone Wars. I don't think Kade knew we were actually seeing a Star Wars movie and he was extremely excited when Yoda came on screen. He yelled out "I love that guy! I love Yoda!!" Cute kid. I'd have to say the movie wasn't that great but it was good. It totally is geared towards kids and the upcoming series on Cartoon Network so I think it accomplished what it was meant to do. My kids were stoked about it. I do have to admit that I actually dozed off in the middle of it and Ben had to wake me up. I've never done that in a Star Wars movie before! But then again, I've never gone to see a Star Wars movie while I was pregnant and recovering from the flu.

So here it is, Sunday night, and the night before school starts. I am not as apprehensive as I was last year about Skylar heading off to school. But this year is still a bit hard. She's going to be gone all day!! We are all definitely going to miss her! She is soooo excited about it all-the all day thing, eating lunch at school, just being in school, period. I'm just thinking about how quickly time is passing. My little girl is almost 7 (crazy!) and is now considered a big kid. It's fun to see the person she's turning into and get to watch her grow up but if only they could just stay little!! I love you Skylar and I hope you have a great year being a big first grader!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like a FUN and exhausting week. you are a good mom for taking your kids to all those FUN places. Too bad you got sick the last day. I hope you are feeling better.

hey did you ever get the email I sent you?

rachel said...

You are just such a fun Mom... I can't believe you are old enough to have a 7 year old! I am not that old...

ohana=)mama said...

Wow you are a great mommy! I'm lucky to get one fun thing in a week! I'm impressed!