Friday, September 24, 2010

Feeling Alone

I've gotten to this point where I just feel so alone. I don't feel like I really fit anywhere now. I really don't feel like I have anyone out there that honestly knows how I feel, even Ben, who readily admits that he doesn't. He is so supportive and helpful but our grief over Gabriel is different, and that's okay, but at the same time, it's lonely being where I am. I know that the Savior is with me, but right now it feels like it's that part in the Footprints poem where there's just one set of footprints and I can't always feel Him, as much as I know He wouldn't abandon me. I have never felt so alone and it's not just emotionally, it's physically too. I miss my baby being here-the weight of my growing belly, and his little flutters. It is the emptiest feeling.

I've been reading a lot about miscarriage and losing a child since Gabriel died. I guess some of it has been helpful but at times it just makes me feel more alone. I most definitely know I'm not alone in infant loss, and loss in general, and I ache for every one that has had to go through it. However, I feel like I'm in this weird category without anybody in it-late miscarriage. It just isn't very common. I don't know anyone else personally that has ever been here. Early miscarriages sadly happen all of the time-1 in 4 pregnancies. Cord accidents happen only 1 in 1000. They are considered a "freak accident". When I went into my 2 wk. checkup, after finding out how far along I had been when the baby died, the nurse said, "Wow. That never happens." It just made me feel awful, like some horribly weird person, and completely alone.

One of the books I've read shares others' feelings about miscarriages. Not many people that have a miscarriage get to see their baby at all, often left wondering what the gender was, and even sometimes if their baby was real. That thought just makes me feel so badly for them. Of course their babies are real! Last year Ben and I had the opportunity to go to the Body Worlds exhibit and they had these tiny babies that had died at different gestations. I was so in awe of these tiny little bodies, so perfectly formed, even early on. They are very real babies, even from the beginning. I feel grateful that I was able to hold Gabriel in my arms, to look at his little fingers and toes, and marvel over how perfectly formed he was. Sometimes I feel like the term miscarriage just doesn't give weight to our experience with Gabriel, as silly as that sounds, because I labored with him, gave birth, and held him. I don't know what to call it, because he doesn't qualify as a stillborn, but yet he was born. He doesn't even qualify to be on a family record sheet listed as a stillborn, but yet I felt his little body move in mine and I held that little body in my hands. He's my son and part of our eternal family. I almost feel like I have to explain to others because they won't understand the gravity of his birth and death, why it is so hard for me, and why I am grieving so much.

In the gospel, there aren't many answers about the death of infants. There are some, but even especially fewer when it comes to miscarriages. Joseph Smith said, "The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth." We know that babies are perfect, having never sinned, and it's been promised that they will be raised from infancy after the resurrection, but I still have many questions. Skylar and I were talking about this the other day and she showed me in her illustrated Doctrine and Covenants about the promises of that day that she had recently read about. It will be such a joy to raise Gabriel then, when I don't have to worry about him ever being in pain or feeling sadness. Knowing these things does help, but it doesn't take away the sense of emptiness that I have right now. I still have to face the rest of my mortality without my little Gabriel. Sometimes the hardest moments for me are watching my children play happily together. I know I'll get to raise Gabriel, but he doesn't get to be a part of my other kid's childhood. They will never get to play together and have that sibling bond on this earth. I understand that because I have always felt that with my sister who died and I feel this incredible loss for them because of that. I have done my best to talk about him as much as they are comfortable, so that they do feel that he is their brother, and that he will always be a part of our lives.

Over the last year or so I've come to just hate death and all the people it leaves hurting. There is comfort in the gospel but sometimes the pain just overrides that and there's no stopping it, as strong as my testimony is about the plan of salvation. Before this I've never really had a fear of death and actually thought it was a good thing. I've always seen it as a release for whomever had died and always thought how happy and peaceful they must be. About 6 years ago now, both of my grandpas, whom I've always felt close to and love very much, died within 6 months of each other and I really, honestly felt joy for them. I miss them incredibly but I know that they lived long lives and are now with loved ones. When my Grandpa Jensen died, the family members that knew the gospel, were actually happy for him. He was 102 and had lived a good life and had a ton of posterity around him, but when he died, we knew he had so many more waiting for him on the other side, including my grandma, who died 25 years before. His funeral was kind of a celebration and the only ones that were sad were those without the gospel. When my Grandpa Henricksen died a few months later, I felt so relieved for him to be out of his pain, and the pain I felt was actually for my grandma, because I knew she would miss him. I feel so grateful that I had two wonderful grandpas and such great memories of having them throughout my life. I miss my grandpas all of the time, but I'm happy for them.

I feel the same about Gabriel. I know he is where he's supposed to be, and he's happy and I really am happy for him. His life on this earth was just a short one, but it was what he needed to do. Ben and I have talked about what an amazing boy he must be and we can't wait to meet him. I hate that I don't know anything about him. I hate that I have few concrete memories of his life. I remember feeling him kick and move for a few weeks, but that's really all I have. The rest of the memories I have of him are painful and sad. I can't even begin to describe how much it hurts to hold your baby in your arms and have to say goodbye before you've even had a chance to say hello.

I have been trying to be strong. I'm trying to get back to normal and do the things that will help me to move through this. It's hard. It's still minute to minute. I will have a good day and then something will happen. It could be a comment someone makes, or just seeing someone who is as pregnant as I should be, or hearing a song that has nothing to do with anything but one line sticks out to me. Then the whole world seems to crash in again. I keep thinking that maybe it will get easier, but this week was definitely harder than last, and I can only imagine how awful it is going to feel when my due date approaches. Another thing is that I feel like everyone feels I should be better now or that I don't want to talk about it so they don't say anything. I know at first that I didn't want to talk, but it wasn't that I didn't want to talk about it, it was that I couldn't then. I know it probably makes others uncomfortable to talk about it too, so I understand that. It's a part of every moment of my life now and I know it's probably just a brief thought for everyone else. But it's just another thing that adds to my loneliness. What a horrible feeling this is.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh my dear sweet friend. My heart hurts for your lonely pain. Everyone experiences pain and loss so differently none of us truly know what someone else feels. Christ does however and He will be the only one who can truly help you heal. It is not an overnight process. It is a journey like I have said many times before. I feel so helpless to help you. I would do anything I could. I love you so much! I am so sorry you are hurting so much. Keep expressing your feelings. It is good to get them out. If there is anyhting I can do, I will!!!! Stay close to your Heavenly Father. He sure loves you and Gabriel!!!

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing your feelings here on your blog, I always look forward to your blog. When you share your thoughts and feelings it brings back so many memories.

your son is one lucky boy to have chosen YOU to be his mother. He lvoes you so much and I KNOW for a fact he is there with you always, I am sure he he hasn't left your side since he passed away.

YOu have been blessed to have had the most PERFECt son. Gabriel was so perfect all he needed was to come to this earth to gain a body. The Lord needs him more right now. He needs him to be a missionary and to help prepare those on the otherside to accept the gospel.

If you ask me I think you need to include him on your family record sheet! HE IS YOUR SON! My feeling is that the spirit enters the body when they have a heart beat.

You DIDN'T have a "miscarriage" . If anyone calls it that you need to correct them. You can call it 2nd trimester infant loss. I thikn stillborn is ok to say too.

I was going to tell you, Oct is Infant Loss Awareness month. There is always a walk to honor those who have passed on. If you want to go I will go this year. Ihaven't been since the year I lost Spencer, but if you go this year I will totally go. I can get you more information if you want me to.

Thanks again for always being so open on your blog, I love it!

Teri said...

I love you so much, Cyndi. I wish I had the words to take away your pain, but I know there are truly no words that can do that. I have been blessed by your blog. Please don't think you should be done with the process of your grief. Whatever anyone else thinks....you are dealing with this the way that is right for you.

Casey Jensen said...

You know Cyndi when my Dad died I felt the same way about not wanting to talk about his death. At the time it was just way to emotional and painful. I think that it is totally normal. Death just sucks. At least for the people left behind here on earth. I can only imagine how hard it is for you to go through the day thinking about your sweet little boy. I love that you blog about what you are going through. Sometimes while reading it I feel like I am experiencing it with you. But I know that can't be possible or come remotely close. I love you and I am so glad you are my friend.

Melissa said...

Hi Cyndi,

I just recently found your blog and I am so sorry for your loss. I too have suffered a miscarriage and so I understand how you feel. It was horrible and I really felt that no one understood - quite frankly, if they haven't been through, they probably don't. But there are TONS of us out there who have been there and understand. You are NOT alone. I would like to suggest a couple of online resources for you:

angelbracelets.org - full disclosure: this is my website which I started recently in honor of my angel baby. We have an Angel Stories page where you can read other womens' stories and post your own. We also support several pregnancy/infant loss organizations with our memorial bracelets.

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hop is a newly created group whose mission is to raise awareness of pregnancy and infant loss - they have pictures and stories of hundreds of women on their site.

I hope this helps.

The Peterson Family said...

My dear Cyndi - I haven't been through what you have, but I totally understand feeling alone. I hope that you find yourself out of that alone place soon and are able to heal while feeling surrounded by love and support.