Sunday, September 30, 2007

Weekly Wrap-up: The Superhero Party

Well, we survived the week. That's about all I can say. It's once again been a crazy one. Last Friday Ben was laid off from his job. The company ran out of money and hence no job. So, this week has been crazy with searching, resumes, and interviews. We have seriously been blessed because Ben hasn't even "applied" for a job yet. He has totally been set up by friends and associates calling to offer him a chance to come work at their companies. He has received three offers so far-two paying more & offering better benefits than his last job! He's hoping for another offer that he should hear from tomorrow and he will decide which one to take by tomorrow night. So it's totally been a blessing in disguise!! Our bishop told Ben that it's because we pay our tithing. I totally believe it and I'm so thankful it's worked out so well.
Well, if there's a week to not have to go to work, this has been the one. Ben, Skylar, and now McKade all have had colds and just felt kind of lousy. So Ben has been able to take some well needed rest and I've been able to leave the kids at home while I ran a thousand errands trying to get ready for Skylar's big birthday bash. I could totally get used to having him home all day!!
I got
to get together with a couple of my friends this week for some good 'ol girl time. On Tuesday the kids and I went to lunch at my friend, Rachel's house. Rachel's been my friend since high school and she was my first roommate in college. She's got two little boys about Nick & Kade's ages. We had fun hanging out and it's so great to still get together after all these years of knowing each other. Then on Thursday, my friend, Stephanie was in town from Montana so we went out to dinner. Ben was just getting back from Baptisms for the Dead with the YM when Stephanie came by and he had forgotten that we were going out but he was a good sport to put the kids to bed so I could have a chance to fun visit with Stephanie. Thanks sweetie!
This week
has been all about Skylar!! Thursday, lost her tooth. Friday, spotlighted at school. Saturday, Birthday!!! Skylar had such a great birthday and it all began at 1:30 am when she ran in to tell me that the tooth fairy had come! I had just gone to sleep at 1:00 so I wasn't as excited as her. I told her to go back to sleep & we'd see what the tooth fairy brought in the morning. The very generous tooth fairy ended up spoiling Skylar since it was her birthday by giving her 1 dollar, 6 quarters, 6 dimes, 6 nickels, and 6 pennies. She was ecstatic!!
Then came the party! Skylar had such a fun Justice League superhero birthday party! We had totally planned on having the whole thing outside, complete with a superhero obstacle course. Of course, we weren't planning on the 50 degree rain & snow that came through just in time for the party. So we scrambled a bit the day before trying to change everything around. We were a little stressed about having the 24 kids (yes, I'm crazy!!) that were invited smooshing cake into our carpet instead of our grass but it all worked out and only 18 kids showed up, whoo! whoo!
We had some pretty awesome "superheroes" show up, including Skylar as Supergirl, Nick as the Flash(of course!), and McKade as Batman. We had a superhero scavenger hunt where we searched for Green Lantern's lost ring, pin the tail on Supergirl Skylar, Wonder Woman's lasso of truth (hula hoop over a bop bag), Superman's pass the kryptonite game, and Hawkgirl's (or should we say crazy looking Spencer?) pinata. It ended up working all out & the kids had a blast. Ben always teases me because I'm "that" mom that makes a huge deal out of birthdays but I just want my kids to realize how important they are to me and to have the best day ever. It's totally worth the stress beforehand!! I love you my sweet six-year old Sky!!
P.S. Here's proof that Ben gets into the whole party thing too. He made the invitations himself and totally worked the picture over to exclude some superheroes that Skylar didn't want and put in some she did want. You're a sucker for our kids too Ben!! Ha! Ha! I love you.

No comments: