Thursday, November 1, 2012

Capture Your Grief Photo Challenge 2012 Days 21-30

Day 21: Altar/Shrine/Sacred Place

So I don't call this a shrine. To me, it's just the place where we keep all of the special things from all of our babies. Both my living children and my babies' have their hand and foot molds displayed as well as the Willow Tree statues I have to represent all of my children. Gabriel and Reese's items are on the lower she

lf. This is where we keep some of the things that were given us in memory of our babies along with their pictures, their blankets, their symbols, and Gabriel's Molly Bear. I love that this place isn't just for my babies in heaven, but also a place I can remember all of my babies and the blessing they are to me. I am so very blessed to be the mother of six wonderful children, even if they are split between heaven and earth.

 Day 22:Place of Care/Birth/Caregivers

I wasn't sure what to put here. I've lost three pregnancies in the last two years. They have been the most difficult things I have ever had to go through, physically, spiritually, and emotionally. They've all been different, but they've all been completely heartbreaking. With two of them, I was far enough along that I w
ent through the labor and birth of two perfectly formed precious little boys, our little Gabriel and tiny Reese. My doctors have been wonderful, my nurses were compassionate, but with my losses being so different, I tried to think how I could best represent the caregivers that helped me through the awfulness of losing my sweet babies. I thought of my constant through all three losses. My constant has been my best friend, my husband, my Ben. He has held my hand through each. He has cried the tears I have, knowing that these babies that we created with so much love and wanted so badly were not ours to have right now. He has been there to pick up the slack on days when I couldn't physically or emotionally do it. Losing a child is one of the greatest stresses a marriage can go through, but we've done it together, and we're coming out stronger, more dedicated to one another, and we know now that we can face anything, together. Ben hates when I get all mushy mushy, but I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to think that I have this amazing husband and the most wonderful father of my children by my side every day.

My kids adore him just as much as me. We love you Ben!!

Day 23: Their Name/Their Photo

Our two precious and perfect baby boys, Gabriel & Reese ♥
Gabriel, born 8/12/10 at 19 weeks

Reese, born 5/27/12 at 13 weeks

Day 24: Siblings

Our best days are the days we do something in honor and remembrance of our babies. My kid love to remember them, love to celebrate them, and love their brothers incredibly, even if they aren't here. Not a day goes by that my kids don't talk about their brothers or cuddle on their Gabriel and Reese Bears. We've tried to let our kids feel tha
t they can always talk about them. They're a part of our family, now and forever.

This picture was taken at this year's Running With Angels 5k. This has become a great family tradition for us to run for and with our Gabriel. The proceeds go to the Angel Watch program that helps provide the sweet treasures of pictures, hand and foot molds and prints, and counseling for those that are facing losing their babies or have already. We have been so grateful for the precious items we have of our Gabriel's.

We were really happy this day. Our precious Rainbow Reese was on the way and we were honoring Gabriel. Less than a week later we found out that Reese wasn't going to join us here on earth after all. I'm thankful for the time we had with him and the joy it brought my kids in those few weeks of anticipating him. We can't wait until our family can be complete again. We all love our Gabriel and Reese!!

Day 25: Baby Shower/Blessing

Five months ago today was my birthday. It was the most horrible one I've ever had and hope to ever have. The day before, we had just found out that our precious rainbow baby, who we had prayed and tried for for 16 months no longer had a heartbeat at almost 13 weeks. Since it was my birthday the doctor didn't want me to have a D *
C but I was already miscarrying my sweet baby. I was miserable, in so much pain emotionally and physically. My kids had something at school that morning so I hauled myself out of bed to go support them. When I came downstairs I was amazed at all the flowers that had been delivered since the night before when people had heard the news. I wasn't showered with gifts for my baby, but I was showered with love from those who took the time to care. It still chokes me up to see how much I was loved on such a heartbreaking day.


Day 26: Their Age

I am missing and aching for them so much!


Day 27:Artwork

This beautiful painting, In His Constant Care, by Simon Dewey came out just a month after my little Gabriel was born still. It has been such a gift and a reminder of where my babies are and who they are with. In our home, we have our living children's pictures hanging on the wall and this is hanging right next to them. I see it countless times throughout the day and it always brings me peace, knowing that my cherished babies, Gabriel and Reese, are in His constant care.


Day 28: Memory (positive or negative)

One of the worst parts of losing a baby is that the memories are so few, and of those memories, they are often filled with so much heartache that it's hard to see the positive. I wanted to share the positive though. I've never shared this picture before and I know we don't look great, but we look real. This was just mom

ents before we had to say goodbye to our little Gabriel. We were heartbroken. However, I feel so very blessed to have been able to see our sweet little boy for the short time we did. We held him, we kissed his sweet little fingers and toes, and we loved him. It wasn't nearly enough time, but it was the time we were given, and it was peaceful and priceless. When we lost our next baby, Reese, we took even more time with him. I memorized everything about his perfect tiny body. We knew that every second holding him would be ingrained in our memories forever. Those moments with my boys were peaceful and loving moments and I'm so thankful for the gift it was to hold them both every moment of their lives.

Day 29: Music

Each of our children has always had their own little lullaby that we've sung to them. We still listen to their songs now even though they're not babies anymore and it makes them feel so special to have their own individual song. Gabriel and Reese are no different. Although they aren't here, we still have lullabies that we sing that remind us o
f the cherished time we had with them and the tender moments we still experience without them just because they are our babies.

Gabriel's lullaby is Golden Slumbers, sung by Mindy Gledhill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldx_eCvsrgkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldx_eCvsrgk

Reese's lullaby is My Darling by Wilco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYYpDEXPMRM

This picture that I posted are their names written with a line from their lullabies. These beautiful names were made by Baby Boards and are such a gift to us.

There are many other songs and hymns that remind me of my precious boys waiting in heaven, but there are also two specific songs that have helped me through my grief, one for each of my boys.

The moment that I found out that Gabriel's heart had stopped, Kite by U2 popped in my mind. I knew, at that moment, that although I wouldn't get to have Gabriel here on earth, that it was not goodbye. This is my favorite version of the song, where Bono talks about having to say goodbye to someone you're not ready to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMdO3HK_wshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMdO3HK_ws

The moment we found out our rainbow baby, Reese, was on the way, Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Iz became his song. We knew that he would never replace Gabriel, but that he would bring us so much joy. He did for the precious weeks we got to have him, and he continues to because he will always be part of our forever family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1Ihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I


Day 30: Your Grief-Tell the World

Lonely. That's the word that comes to my mind first when I think of my grief over losing my babies. This is a very lonely trial. As my babies' mother, I have a bond that non one else does with them. I loved them from the very first second I knew they were on their way. I ache every moment that they are not with me. I unders

tand that no one else knew my Gabriel and Reese. Besides my husband and my kids, they aren't really loved by anyone else and their death hasn't affected anyone else. They don't have a lot of family and friends that mourn their loss. It's just us, alone. Beyond that, some of the people that I thought would be the ones by my side during the biggest trials of my life haven't been there. Some that I felt closest to before my losses have been the ones to hurt me most or have left me to grieve alone. I feel like I've lost not only my babies, but also the trust I had in those relationships as well. This has left me feeling even more lonely.

Elizabeth Edwards said, " If you know someone who has lost a child and you're afraid to mention them because you might make them sad by reminding them that they died, they didn't forget they died. You're not reminding them. What you're reminding them is that you remember that they lived, and that's a great, great gift."

I wish people would talk to me about my babies, instead of changing the subject, instead of avoiding me. I wish they would say their name. I wish they would give me just the kindness of remembering that they were here, that they are always my children. I know that others don't know my babies and love them like I do, but I wish they loved me enough to remember them with me. I wish I didn't feel so alone.

Although no one, not even other parents that have lost a baby or a child, can understand exactly what I am going through, there is one that can, my Savior, Jesus Christ. He loves Gabriel and Reese as much as I do. He has felt all of my pain and all of my heartache. He has suffered along with me. Through the trial of losing my babies, I have learned to really apply the Atonement in my life on a level that I would've never been able to before. I am closer to and more devoted to my Savior than would've been possible had I never had to truly trust in Him to make it through the anguish I have felt. There are times that I don't feel Him, but I know that He would never truly leave me alone. This alone, has been one the greatest blessings in my life and it came through the worst trial of my life. I am forever indebted to my Savior for the love that He has shown to me.

Day 31: Sunset

I love sunsets. I always have. Each one is unique but each one is beautiful, just like my six children. Now, sunsets help to remind me that I've survived another day with part of my heart missing since two of my children are waiting for me in heaven.



It's been 2 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, and 5 days since we said goodbye to Gabriel.

It's been 5 months and 4 days since we said goodbye to Reese.

Every sunset brings me closer to being with them again. I miss and love my precious baby boys but I know where they are and I know that I will see them again.

Participating in this project has been difficult on some days, but healing on so many more. Thank you to everyone who showed support and love through this difficult journey of losing my precious little ones. I am truly blessed by your love.

No comments: