Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thankful Thursday-My Little Valentines

Okay so I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day. I know I'm not alone in this (how awesome that Liz Lemon shares my disdain, right?), but sometimes it seems like the rest of the world has really been fooled into thinking this holiday is the bomb or something. I say you should love people EVERY day....not just on a sappy holiday.

I think I hate Valentine's Day more and more each year and as more and more of my kids get into school. It's so much work & pricey to boot! The school insists you bring Valentine's for everyone in the class and times that by 3 (and Alexis too, even though she only had 5)...that's a lot of Valentine's Uncle Ed! Of course the kids have to then scrutinize each Valentine and deem whether it is appropriate for said friend or if it might be too lovey dovey or such. It's a very complicated process. You also have to have a treat and you have to make a box so that the kids can receive all of these Valentines that have been worked on for so long, only to be quickly discarded once the candy has been ripped off. Plus, as Skylar agrees, Valentine's candy is just kinda yucky. Bring on Easter candy already, right? Plus all the goofy stuffed animals and sappy stuff...not my thing. Okay, see? I've got a point, huh? Valentine's is kind of lame. Anyway, off the soapbox now.

I still love my kids with everything I am and my kids still love Valentine's, so I endure all of this Valentine's hoopla for the sake of seeing their little smiles. So we spent the entire Sunday afternoon making their Valentine boxes and all of Monday filling out Valentine's. Oh, so much work! My kids wanted their boxes to look "way cool." I think we did it!

Skylar made one and then decided she didn't like it so she made another...a BYU one. This girl loves the Cougars! Good job Sky!
Nick was giving out Phineas & Ferb Valentines for his class and so he wanted something to go with that theme, so of course we made Perry. I helped but Nick did most of it himself. Perry looked way cool!
Kade decided he wanted to do the theme thing too so since he had Toy Story Valentines he went with Woody's boot...complete with ANDY scrawled on the bottom. It was so cute!
On Valentine's Day I was lucky enough to get to help out Kade's kindergarten class party. I love kindergartners in love...and mine just happens to be very much in love with a cute little girl in his class. He even made her a special Valentine....but he told me I'm still his number one Valentine. Awww.....
I also got to help out in Skylar's class. I read the most awesome book to them, Zombie in Love. The librarian knew just what would be perfect for 4th graders. It was the perfect amount of mushy. We've seriously read it like 473 thousand times in the last week or so. It's that good.
Later on I got the kids a heart shaped pizza for dinner. I tried to take a picture of them with it. How hard is it to take a normal picture of these crazy four? So hard. Goofballs.
But they are four goofballs that I absolutely completely adore and am willing to go through all the Valentines nonsense for. Seriously....I love my babies. Of course we missed Gabriel too. He's always missed and always loved.

I have to say that I was pretty proud of myself this year. I never get much for Ben...maybe some candy, but this year I found the perfect thing to get him. It's perfectly nerdy and perfect for us. I think he liked it...like liked it liked it. We kept our Valentine's night pretty low key with some take out and a movie at home. Just perfect. I love that Ben of mine!! So, after my Valentine's report, it's time to say what I'm thankful for on this Thankful Thursday (Tuesday was much too crazy to post, by the way). I'm so entirely and always thankful for my six Valentines that I get to call my own.....my wonderful Ben, my smarty girl Skylar, my loving Nickolas, my kooky Kade, my sweetie Alexis, and my precious Gabriel. I'm thankful that they are mine forever and ever and ever and ever. I'm thankful that they love me and that I love them....every single day of the year....and for the rest of eternity. How did a girl ever get so lucky?

"To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides."

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I am pretty low key about it myself, but Dennis is REALLY low key. Looks like you were once again the super awesome mom. What a special day you made it for your sweeties!!! Love ya!