Thursday, August 12, 2010

How do I do this?

On Monday I went to a routine Dr.'s appt. I was 18 weeks and 3 days. The Dr. measured me and said I was measuring right on and then he listened for the baby's heartbeat only to not find it. My placenta sounded really good and he seemed positive that the baby was just lying towards the back of my uterus. But just in case, and so I could sleep, he sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound. I called Ben and we dropped the kids off at our friends and headed to the hospital. Even though the Dr. had been reassuring, I knew what we'd find.

The ultrasound technician was just so quiet. I knew that he couldn't find the heartbeat but he still did measurements for awhile and said nothing. Ben held my hand and watched the screen. I never even looked at it, although Ben was able to get some pictures from the hospital I've now seen of my precious baby. The tech confirmed that the baby did not have a heartbeat and wasn't moving. He said that the baby was measuring at 15-16 weeks so that means that it had been dead for a week or two already. I wish my body had known it. I wish I didn't have to know it now.

The last few days have been a blur. I've pretty much been crying since the tech told me. I haven't been able to sleep much and I've just been trying to make it through until I could get this next part over. I've tried so hard to be brave for the kids but I know it's okay for them to see me cry about losing this baby. This baby was meant to be ours. Even before I decided that I was okay with having a fifth child, I knew I was supposed to. I felt that longing and feeling that I was to be a mother again. We were so excited that everything was working out. Our kids were so excited. When we told them the baby had died and gone to heaven it was so confusing for them, I'm sure. Skylar understood and started to cry and was really weepy for the first two days. Nick understood but just got really quiet. He still hasn't talked much about it and I know he doesn't know how to act. He has been the most excited for the baby, even before we got pregnant so I know he is grieving. Kade is so confused. We've told him that the baby is in heaven and he knows that if we ask him. At the same time, he just told me yesterday that the baby will just come later. Alexis probably has no clue, but has been very affectionate with my tummy for the last month or so and babbles to and hugs the baby but she hasn't done it much the last week or so and not at all since we told the kids. Maybe she knows somehow.

I've had plenty of little trials but never one big one that hurt so very much. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and for my family and although this is so hard now, I know that someday it will all make sense. I know that this baby will be mine to hold and raise later. I have total faith in that but it just hurts so much to know that I don't get to do that now. I am heartbroken and confused and devastated.

The hardest part for me is that I have to tell people. Ben and I have been so careful in the past to not really tell anyone about our pregnancies until I'm out of the first trimester, just in case. I knew that if anything ever happened, we'd tell close family and friends but just to be safe we'd kept it to ourselves until the risk of miscarriage went down. So here I am at close to 19 weeks and practically everyone knows that I'm pregnant. I can't even begin to trace my steps back to who doesn't know. My whole family, my whole ward, anyone who reads this blog, all of my friends on Facebook, even casual acquaintances like the moms I talk to at Skylar's dance or the boys' gymnastics. How am I supposed to tell all of those people about this? I can't even talk to my family or my friends about it yet. I'm not one to be totally out there with my feelings and I really don't like people to know when I'm upset. I try to stay positive and look for the best but it's hard to see that right now. So I just don't want to talk to anyone besides Ben and my kids. Ben has been the strong one and has told some people, although he's grieving too and not wanting to have to tell anyone either. I haven't talked to anyone except my parents and Ben's mom who have come to help with the kids. I just can't yet. I'm sorry. Somehow blogging about it seems easier because I won't have to say the words to anyone.

This pregnancy has been difficult, I'm not going to lie. I have felt awful and nauseous and exhausted the whole time. I've dealt with high blood pressure, which I've never before had, and that made me feel even worse and more scared. I've tried not to complain too much but it just hasn't been good. But I loved feeling our little one make little jabs and nudges in my belly. I loved dreaming of our baby and the excitement of wondering what he/she would be like, look like. I loved having my other babies touch my tummy in excitement and seeing the anticipation in their eyes. I loved talking about names for the baby and being excited that we weren't going to find out until the delivery if the baby is a boy or a girl. And as much of a pain as it has been, I've loved helping the kiddos switch rooms in the last couple of weeks so we could make room for this baby in our house. The girls moved to the boys' room and the boys moved to the girls' room where we could get them a bunkbed and still have room for the crib. It was going to be crowded and crazy but it was going to be so fun with our little party of five. I made Ben take the crib down last night. I just didn't want to come home to it being empty and knowing it won't be filled any time soon.

So here I am, in the hospital, being induced. This is a late miscarriage so the baby is too big to have a normal D & C. I have to actually labor with it and deliver it. It's going to be a really long day and maybe go even into the night. I've had doctors, nurses, and social workers in asking how I'm doing. I don't know how I'm doing. I can't imagine how I'm going to do this. I really just want it to be over and to be back at home where I don't have to cry in front of complete strangers and answer any more questions. The Dr. does say that maybe this is for the best because they might be able to find out what went wrong with the baby because it is big enough to examine. All I know is that the baby is dead and I'm not even sure if I want to know why. The baby is going to be so tiny but we will also be able to hold the baby and say goodbye to it but I don't know how to do that either. I don't know how to do any of this.

21 comments:

Jarrie said...

Oh Cyndi-I'm thinking of you, keeping you in my prayers:)

Mindy said...

Cyndi, my heart aches for your pain. I love you so much. I want to hug you and cry with you when you are ready. I know nothing I can say will make you feel better. Just know you are in my thoughts, prayers and heart. Your whole family is.

Casey Jensen said...

Cyndi, Words can't describe the ache that I feel for you right now. As I sat down to read your blog the tears started flowing I still can't stop them. I am so sorry that you have to go through this trial. Know that I love you and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Teri said...

Cyndi,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family. I know a hug and a shoulder to cry on won't make things better, but I'm here. You don't have to say anything, and when you are ready, I will sit with you, cry with you, hug you.
We love you.

BBC said...

cyndi, i'm so sorry for your loss. we will be praying for your whole family. we love you.

angie said...

Oh Cyndi. I am so, so sorry. I am praying for you too. I am so shocked by this news, and feel so sad about it. I want to hug and cry with you too when you are ready. I love you and I'm here for you.

Ariane said...

Oh Cyndi, I am so sorry. I wish I knew what to say or do, but I don't so I'm sitting here sobbing for you. You are a strong woman and somehow you'll figure out how to do it. For now, just know that more people are praying for you and your family than you can count.

Alisa said...

I'm so sorry, Cyndi and family! We'll be sending lots of prayers your way.

Unknown said...

cyndi, I am sitting her bawling. Please let me know if you need ANYTHING. losing a baby is so hard and it feels like NO one in the world understands and no one can ever say the right thing. I am so sorry Cyndi, my prayers are with you, ben and your kids during this time. seriously PLEASE let me know if you need anything. You can call me ANYTIME and we can chat. Our baby and my son can be friends in heaven. hang in there and it is ok to grieve and to avoid as many people as possible!!! LOVE YOU MADLY!!!!

Nicole Love said...

Cyndi,
I love you so much and you and your family our in our thoughts, prayers, and hearts. I want you to know that if you need anything at all we're here for you. I wish so badly that I knew what to say or do to make all of your pain go away, but I don't, but I do know that Heavenly Father is there for you and doesn't give us trials that he knows we can't handle. We love you.

kat said...

Cyndi, Ben and kids--
You are in our prayers and thoughts. We love your family! My heart aches for you--and for the memory of my lost baby and other sweet friends who have had to say goodbye to their children. It hurts. It's numbing. It's empty. But there is peace. There is hope. Please let me know when you are feeling up to accept visitors.
Katrina

Olivia McCord said...

Cyndi,

Maybe it will comfort you to know that after I had my miscarriage and when through many of the feelings you are going through, it was a very spirtual experience to have my next baby. You never take it for granted again! What a gift. Healing comes a lot quicker and easier once the baby is out of your body. Hang in there, you are a tough girl.

Beard Family said...

Oh I so sorry for what is happening. I know you were so excited for this next one as you are for every sweet baby you have. I wish I was closer to help with anything. I am so heartbroken for you. You are such a wonderful mother. I hope you know that we love you and your family and will keep you in our prayers.

Beck said...

Cyndi, I cant imagine how awful you must feel...just reading your post I hurt so bad inside. Im SO sorry I wish there was something I could do. Its ok to be sad though! Its ok to not understand why this is happening. Its so normal to feel the way you do. Let yourself have time to get through this. I truly am sorry. You are in my prayers and your sweet family. Love you!

Angela said...

You are AMAZING !!! My heart is aching for you. Good luck these next couple days and weeks and months and know that you are loved!

lindseyfrancom said...

Just know we are thinking of you and praying for your family. We love you and are here for you if you need anything.

Laurie said...

Oh Cyndi, I am so, so sorry! My heart is aching for you and your family. You will be in our thoughts and prayers!

britt said...

that was hard for me to read (although I already had heard from QUinn), so I can only imagine how much harder it was for YOU to write. I know your pain, although mine wasn't as far along as yours and you have much more to deal with, both physically and mentally. I am so very sorry! We are thinking and praying for you and your family to find peace in all of this. as others said, it is OK to want to be alone and grieve, but let others help too. it really does make it easier to heal your heart!
love to you

Rebecca said...

We are so sorry and will be thinking of you.

Jacque of All Trades said...

Never in a million years would I want this much hurt for anyone. Don't feel bad about not knowing how to go through this. No one knows that answer and you will most likely keep wondering along the way if you are doing it right. Just know that there is no wrong way of going through it, just your way of going through it. Don't look at how well or not well others seem to have handled this in their lives and just let grieve your own way. I agree, telling others is the hardest part. At least it was for me. 27 years ago we didn't have all of this technology so I would run into someone every couple of months or so and I always felt so badly about having to tell them about our baby. You and Ben happen to be some of my favoritest people in the whole world and the mom in me just wants to run over to your house, hold you on my lap, hug you and rock you until you feel better. Silly, huh? Love you!

The Peterson Family said...

Cyndi - so sorry to hear about this and the pain that you and your family are going through. Time can't take away the loss, but it can heal some of the pain. You are in a place with many people to offer just the support and comfort you'll need. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Lisa