Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Day out in the City

A few weeks ago my dad's brother, my Uncle Wendell, passed away. It was bittersweet as he had been suffering with Alzheimer's for many years and his quality of life was very diminished. After years of working with Alzheimer's patients as a CNA, I know just how heartbreaking it is for the family to see someone go through it. I know it was hard on my dad to watch one of his best friends slowly forget who he was. My dad and my Uncle Wendell were great friends. I remember as a kid that my uncle would call almost every single day right as we were about to say the dinner prayer so that he could talk to my dad. We always laughed at his impeccable timing, but I always loved that my dad and him were so close. My dad spoke at his funeral and talked about how their Nephi & Sam relationship. It was the perfect way to describe them. I loved watching them together because they would talk a funny way and they always had this special laugh that would crack the rest of the family up. My uncle was a great man and he always made me feel like he cared about what was going on in my life. I'm glad to know that he's at peace now, with his wife, his daughter, and my grandparents.
I decided to take my kids to the funeral because there's not too many chances to see that side of the family anymore....basically weddings and funerals now...and I really wanted my children to meet my cousins. Most of my cousins on that side of the family are a lot older than I am. Most of them were married before I have any memories, so their spouses have always just been part of the family to me. While we were at the funeral, Ben mentioned to my cousins' wife that we had lost our little Gabriel. She then told him about her baby boy that she lost about five years ago. I had no idea. We ended up talking for a really long time about our sweet babies in heaven and about how they were so important to us in our lives and families. It was so good to have the chance to talk about them. It's still amazing to me when stories of these precious heavenly babies come out of the woodwork...and still sad that they aren't talked about more.

Since the graveside service was in the Salt Lake cemetery we had to make a stop at Gabriel's angel statue afterward. I love visiting this special place that reminds us of our little Gabriel.
We decided to make a day out of being downtown so we headed over to the new City Creek mall and checked out a few stores. Then we walked over to the Beehive House to see if we could catch a tour. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, especially since Skylar is in the 4th grade and learning about Utah history this year. When I was in 4th grade we went on a tour of downtown Salt Lake City and I learned so much that I still remember. I wish she had the same opportunities for that. I thought this might give her a smidgen of some of that history.My kids are big fans of BYU so of course they're big fans of Brigham Young.The kids thought it was cool to see Brigham Young's bedroom:
and the toy room where the kids played:
I loved all the cool woodwork throughout the house. I'm a big fan of old houses and the intricate details that went into designing them. Why don't they do that anymore? It was pretty cool that there were Beehives carved all over. I could tour old houses all day long!
The flowers were so beautiful in the gardens surrounding the Beehive House. Gorgeous!We headed back to City Creek for a few minutes and ran across a place having a banana split special. The kids were stoked when I said they could have one!While we were there we went to the Disney store, which rocks by the way! We didn't have much time before heading home time, so I kinda rushed our kids through the store, so we didn't get a chance to play with all the interactive stuff, but they loved it! Alexis was in princess heaven!! They've been begging to go back ever since!
It was a good day to remember my wonderful uncle, have the chance to see so much family, and have the chance to spend special time with my kiddos. It made me so excited that summer is coming soon so I have more time with my little ones!

No comments: