Tuesday, January 31, 2012

GratiTuesday!

So Thursdays are super busy for us right now with piano lessons, karate, and dance lessons and by the time we finally get the kiddles to bed, I'm too pooped to blog, so I'm switching to GratiTuesdays. Or maybe I'll do both. Who knows?

Anyway, today, I'm so so so thankful for my boys' new awesome bunkbed that we got from my sweet friend, Mindy. Thank you, thank you, thank you Mindy!! We are so so pleased with it...all of us! Kade and I are so thankful that he finally has drawers that work so that he can get into them without requiring great effort and lots of frustration from both of us because his old drawers were sooooo busted. Nick has loved that we allowed him to take the top bunk although it's scary to have him up there with his restless sleeping habits so we're very thankful it's a very safe bed. The boys are in love!!I have actually been pretty emotional about getting this bunkbed for our boys. Yes, emotional over a bunkbed...tears over a bed....it just sounds silly. However, the week that Gabriel died, we were right in the middle of switching the kids' rooms all around...the girls moved into the smaller room and the boys moved into the bigger room....so that we could make room for our precious baby on the way. It was going to be a tight squeeze with three kids in one room and the only way we could do it was to get the boys a bunkbed. We had already been shopping for the last month for one, checking every yard sale, every ksl listing, and every furniture store. The time had finally come for us to go get it the very next Saturday and the boys couldn't wait! Then that Monday, we found out the devastating news that the baby that the whole room was being planned around was not going to be coming home with us. The crib went away, the baby stuff was all packed up, and the room that the boys were supposed to share with that baby brother became a very hard room for me to even go in. Every time I would look where Gabriel's crib was meant to be and my heart would literally break. It took quite a few months for me for me to stop crying every night as our family gathered for family prayers, stories, and cuddles in the boys' room.

Of course, since we didn't need a bunkbed then, and had numerous financial things and medical bills throughout the next year, we have never gotten the bunkbed the boys were hoping for. I kept thinking that as soon as I got pregnant we would get one because we'd have to....but then that hasn't happened. I have felt a sense of guilt knowing that the boys' room was just kind of left in limbo all of this time. Kade has desperately needed new drawers but I wanted to get ones that either were part of the bed or matched so he's just been waiting for drawers that work. Both of the boys have asked numerous times when we'll actually get them the bunkbed we promised them almost 18 months ago. It broke my heart to think that they were promised both the bed and the baby and hadn't gotten either.

So, yay!! We finally have a bunkbed! We're still waiting on the baby but hoping that someday we'll be able to bring a baby home to share that room, especially now that we have a smidgen of room to fit a crib back in there. Fingers crossed!

Again, thank you Mindy for your generosity, for making two little boys very happy, and for making this mommy feel a little less guilt!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Oh,they look so happy! I am so glad that bed has a good home. Love ya!