Monday, November 24, 2008

My Take on Twilight

Okay, so I admit I'm a Twilight fan. But no, I am not in love with Edward or Jacob. I'm not a freaky fan. I just like the series a lot. I was just as excited as any one else to see the movie. Well, I guess I wasn't so excited enough to buy tickets a month in advance and wait in line all day to see it at midnight. However, I did want to see it on opening day and I dragged my husband along with me and some other couples to go see it. The guys in our group helped the male population in the theater get to about 6. It was kind of funny to see soooo many girls sooooo excited, giggling like 11 year olds, and staring at the screen in adoration. I have to admit I laughed at them a few times. I guess I'm already in love so I don't feel the need to be in love with a fictional character. I'm pretty lucky. I shouldn't laugh.

Anyway, I didn't go into the movie expecting anything too great. I figured with a bunch of actors that have only been in minor movie roles and TV shows, the acting would be less than stellar. I've also read so many books that have made it to the big screen that disappoint that I figured it'd get messed up in translation. I'm glad to say I was wrong. It was pretty close to the book and the acting was surprisingly good. I really did like the movie overall.
So for the things I did not like. Those would have to be the three main characters-I'm counting Jacob since I've read the entire series. Okay, so my thing with Bella was that she was just sooo negative looking. I don't think she cracked a smile once. I know she's just like that, but seriously, if you're so in love, you're gonna smile a little, right? Maybe it was because she just wasn't feeling it with Edward. Oh Edward. Here's the biggest problem. Isn't he supposed to be the bomb? Totally gorgeous? Because he's not. I think he's kind of ugly. I'm sure some would disagree but he just didn't do it for me. I think Carlisle was much better looking. He'd be a better Edward in my mind. But I guess it's hard to find the most perfect guy in the world and have everyone out there agree. Then, there's Jacob. Maybe it's because I've seen the same actor in a bunch of different things and I just kept thinking of him as Shark Boy, or maybe it was because he doesn't look Native American to me, or maybe it could just be that the wig on his head looked ridiculous, but I didn't like him for Jacob. Again, I'm sure others disagree. Speaking of wigs, what was up with Jasper's? It looked awful!!!

Okay, so I'm done with the negativity. There were some characters that I really liked! Jessica was awesome! I think they got her perfect! She totally reminded me of someone that would be in high school, especially my high school. I also liked Alice, Rosalie, Emmett, Mike, Angela, & Ben. I think they did really well casting them all and that the actors portrayed their characters well. I wish there were more scenes with the side characters because I really enjoyed them. But I guess the story is about Edward and Bella. Oh, and Victoria was also awesome! She totally had me excited to see the next one when she ends the movie heading out to kick some butt!

I also loved the scenery. Ben and I actually went to the same area three years ago this week. One of the things I loved about the book was that I was able to place myself there. Stephenie Meyer did such a great job of setting the scene in the book and I could totally picture it all as I read. I think they did such an excellent job of recreating it. It was beautiful!! I loved the surfing too, which wasn't in the book, but totally was cool to see. Of course, you'd freeze your tail off in that water. But if I lived there, I'd be all over it.

All in all, it was a great movie. It's been quite awhile since a good chick flick has been out so it was nice. I'm also glad Ben agreed to come see it. It's kind of fun I can talk to him about it now and he understands a little bit. He still doesn't like how vampires are portrayed as amazing creatures who glisten in the sun, instead of the monsters they are. I tried to explain that they don't want to be be monsters. He's not getting it but he admitted that he didn't hate it. Now, if I could just get him to read the book. I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen.

3 comments:

Beck said...

I never read the books. But I did go see the movie. I totally love how cute of a love story it was. I agree with you about Edward. When he walked into the lunch room I was like ew. But he totally grows on you. By the end I thought he was way cute. He just loved her so much. It was such a good movie. Loved it! Can't wait to see it again. Loved all your comments. Its so funny how everyone who read the books is so opinionated about it. I can't wait to see the next movies so I can see what all the fuss is about. Ha! But definately a good chic flick.

Unknown said...

i agree the movie was GREAT!!! I think I want to see it again to see if it is even better the second time!! I love these books!! I thought they did ok with Edward, I was nervous at first when the choose him but all in all I personally think he did great.

as for jasper... what the heck?? NOTHING like I pictured him!!!

I too cant wait for the next movie. hopefully we won't have to wait long for the next one!

Grant and Stacy said...

I haven't seen the movie or read the books. Someday. I just had to laugh at Ben's disgust towards vampires being portrayed differently than the terrible blood suckers that they are. Um, I mean, aren't vampires fictitious characters anyway? Does it really matter how they are portrayed, considering they aren't real? I know some of the die hard Twilight fans will tell me they really are real! Anyway, just thought it was funny!