Sunday, December 6, 2009

Let there be lights-seriously!!


It all started out happy and fun!!
So every now and then I make a decision that turns out to be disastrous and against my better judgment. Going to see the Orem City Lights On activity this year was a big disaster. You see, we went last year and it was miserable, so for me to go again this year-and without Ben there to suffer with me-was pretty dumb of me. But my kids wanted to go and Ben had to teach his class and I figured at least he wouldn't be complaining about going, so why not? Well, the first reason would be that it was FREEZING!! It was so dang cold outside that night and of course, it's supposed to be. We live in Utah. Knowing this fact, you would think that the Orem City people in charge of this shindig would think about that before planning a 45 minute program. Seriously, do they think that people, primarily kids, want to stand out on a freezing cold night and watch people dance and sing while they freeze their hineys off? I mean, seriously, couldn't they just let them sing one song and get on with the lights? Did we really need to hear from the mayor and five other members of the city council? I guess somehow I blocked that out of last year's memory but it quickly came back and what started out as a fun night soon turned to miserable once again. To make matters worse, I had forgotten that Kade's hood was not attached to his coat and didn't bring a hat for him. The poor kid was so cold. I tried my best to warm him up with my hands and Alexis's blanket but it didn't last too long. After about 35 minutes he had just had it and began to sob. At this point Alexis figured if he was going to cry then she would join in too. They finally turned the lights on and Kade & Alexis were so upset that they didn't care. We did a quick run around the lights and then I announced it was time to go. This made Nick really mad because he was really excited about the lights, so he began to cry. I made the long trip back to the car with three screaming babies and we headed home. Anyway, could someone please do me a favor and remind me next year that the lights on thing is just not worth it? I'm sure in the excitement of the season, I will once again forget or at least talk myself into the miserable idea once again.
The highlight of the night: star struck Skylar meeting Miss OremPoor sweet freezing Kade
Finally-lights!!!!

6 comments:

Olivia McCord said...

We lasted about 10 minutes! I thought the event was very poorly planned. My favorite was when the lady on the microphone was getting upset that the kids weren't organized. Oh well, believe it or not I am going to go back next year...45 minutes late...just in time to see the lights go on. Maybe we could have hot chocolate after?

britt said...

YOu did have good intentions...its all for the kids right??? You are a much nicer mom than I, I would have never agreed to going! Happy Holidays!!!

Teri said...

Going 45 minutes late sounds like a great idea! You are such a trooper to stay for the whole thing!!

lindseyfrancom said...

We went to an outdoor live nativity the other night and Max was whining the whole time because he was cold or this or that then when we left he was crying because he wanted to go back- you just can't win! But good for you for trying!

Jaymesmom said...

Next year just come with us to the Festival of Lights! Nothing is better than sitting on your nice warm car and driving around to look at the lights!

Mindy said...

I always forget those things too. Getting caught up in the season is what it is all about. Even if we have to learn the same lessons over and over again. I have been thinking of my Christmas surprise trip with my kids this year. I never really thought about the cold factor and the Emily in the cold factor when I planned it. Do you know how cold it is in Wisconsin? We will be outside for over 3 hours. I am just setting myself up for misery. Oh well, maybe one year we will be pleasantly surprised at an acitivty we think will be fun! Love you!