Monday, January 28, 2008

God Be With You Til We Meet Again


The President of the Church, our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away last night. What a blessing it was to have him as our prophet for so many years. He was truly a great man that exuded the love of Christ in all he did. He sacrificed so much to be the leader of the church. He traveled at length to visit the many people who longed to see him. He gave so many hours of service to others. He was truly a great example of sacrifice and charity.
In October 2006 Ben and I were given the chance to go to General Conference. It was the first time that I had ever been. When President Hinckley walked in the room, the spirit was amazing. There was a hush that came over the crowd as the congregation stood in respect and awe of this wonderful man. I feel so blessed that I was able to see him, as the prophet, in person.
I also was able to meet him at my High School Seminary Graduation. He wasn't the prophet then and he attended because one of his grandsons went to my school. I do remember shaking his hand and feeling the spirit and great love he had for us youth. I feel honored to have had that chance.
He was such a great example of love of family. His love for his wife was so evident. He adored her. He has missed her so much since she passed away. This quote by him show his great love:
"But I am so grateful for her. For 66 years we have walked together, hand in hand, with love and encouragement, with appreciation and respect. It cannot be very long before one of us will step through the veil. I hope the other will follow soon. I just would not know how to get along without her, even on the other side, and I would hope that she would not know how to get along without me."
I know that President Hinckley is now with his wife again. While it is sad that his time on this earth is over, I feel a great joy for him. Can you even imagine the wonderful people that he is greeting at this moment? I know that when my Grandpa Jensen died a few years ago at the age of 102, we were so excited for him. We were so happy that he was able to go to a better place where his wife and other countless family members and great friends had been waiting for him. I feel so blessed to have the knowledge of the gospel in my life and to know that we do progress and can be with our families forever!
President Hinckley was one of my greatest heroes. He always had a smile on his face and something witty to say. He is my inspiration. This year one of my New Year's goal was his simple quote: "Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better. Make the extra effort. You will be happier." I hope that I can follow his example and be a little better in all I do.

1 comment:

angie said...

I agree with this whole post and feel the same. it's like I knew he was getting very old and would die soon, but when I found out I was sad. I am happy for him too- being with his wife again.